When Hy-Vee Dietitian Janine Albers needs a change, she infuses water with fruits, vegetables and spices and herbs. You still get the benefits of water with added flavor but none of the excess sugars and chemicals that other beverages have. Infused water also packs a punch because the antioxidants and vitamins from the fruits, veggies, herbs and spices are released into the water.
So, how do you get started? Janine has a few tips and combinations that work great.
• Some fruits work better than others. Berries tend to break down faster, for example.
• Some ingredients such as mint must be muddled to allow the flavors to escape. This just means that the ingredients need to be mashed up a bit at the bottom of your glass.
• For a stronger flavor, let water sit overnight in the refrigerator.
• Cut up fruit and veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays with water for later use.
Here are a couple of pairings that work well:
• Cherries with lime and mint
• Strawberries with peaches or kiwis
• Cucumbers with lemon and gingerroot
• Lime with orange and rosemary
• Raspberries with mint and lime
To learn more about our FREE LiveNow community wellness challenge, visit your local AveraNow clinic inside a Sioux Falls Hy-Vee.