Sweet potatoes are a holiday tradition in most families. This year, enjoy the sweetness of this traditional dish by using honey and apples instead of marshmallows.
Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Source: Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday Entertaining Cookbook
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or yams (2-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Braeburn apples, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup packed Hy-Vee brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Hy-Vee apple juice
- 1 tbsp. Hy-Vee honey
- 3 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup Hy-Vee pecan pieces
- Place sweet potatoes and apples in a 2- to 3-1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix together brown sugar, apple juice, honey, butter, cinnamon and orange peel. Spoon over sweet potatoes. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook nuts in an ungreased heavy skillet over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant.
- Sprinkle with pecans just before serving.
Get more recipes on Pinterest.