Hy-Vee Dietitian Kristin Sousek has 10 tips for eating healthy when you’re dining out.
- If possible, choose a restaurant that you know has healthy options. Bonus if they have nutritional information available. Choose meals lower in sodium, saturated fat and calories.
- For an extra 8 grams of protein, swap your black coffee for a latte with low-fat or non-fat milk.
- Look for items that are grilled, broiled or baked when browsing the menu for lean proteins. Remember: Just 3 ounces of steak packs 23g of protein.
- Add a lean protein to your entrée salad, whether it’s for lunch or dinner.
- Choose water or unsweetened tea instead of soda or other drinks high in sugar.
- Choose side dishes or appetizers, which are usually served in smaller amounts.
- Ask for a side salad with low-fat dressing to replace fries.
- Skip the creamy sauces and heavy gravies and choose items with vegetables.
- When you know portions will be big, share a meal or ask for a to-go box and put a portion of the meal to the side right away.
- For a great protein boost, try an on-the-go fruit, nut and cheese bento box. Hy-Vee’s version is the Four Square meal, which has a variety of variations that include nuts, cheese, cut deli meat and hard- boiled egg.
Get more tips and recipes on the LiveNow Pinterest board.