A handful of nuts provide a delicious combination of hunger-fighting protein (6g), filling fiber (about 4g), and good fats for a convenient snack with a satisfying crunch.
Hy-Vee Dietitian Anna Schroeder, has tips to put smart snacking into action:
- Choose wisely: Select snacks that will fill nutrient gaps; avoid snacks that may be low-calorie or low-fat but devoid of nutrients
- Timing is everything: Don’t wait too long between meals; it could lead to overindulging later.
- Keep it convenient: Make healthy snacks visible and accessible; you’ll be more likely to grab them when hunger strikes.
- Portions matter: Too much of a good thing can still be too much; stick to appropriate portions sizes.
- Plan ahead: Whether it’s keeping the car, desk or travel bag stocked, planning ahead can save time and keep you on track.
Try Anna’s favorite trail mix for a great work snack.
Makes 16 servings
1 cup almonds
1 cup pistachios
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cranberries
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients together. Each serving is about ⅓ cup.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 279 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 14g sugar, 3g fiber, 6g protein
Checkout LiveNow on Pinterest for more recipes.