Living in the Sioux Falls area, we are so fortunate to have miles of bike path, several parks and outdoor activities to keep us active during the summer. What a perfect place to be for the LiveNow Challenge! Studies show that 10,000 steps daily is the right activity level to help prevent weight gain and keep you on track for a healthy lifestyle.
If you haven’t taken advantage of the Sioux Falls bike trail, now is the time. You don’t need a fancy bike; all you need are some good walking or running shoes and comfortable clothing. Try to step out of your comfort zone and hit the trail no matter the distance and remember to stay hydrated. Even just a mile or two will do wonders for your mind, body and spirit. It’s important to slowly build up to 10,000 steps a day, which is the equivalent of about five miles.
Walking is known to help improve your overall health and can help prevent various conditions including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. It will help strengthen your bones and muscles and even improve your mood.
Take 30 minutes to get in a good walk or run. You’ll feel better and you might even trim up your waistline over time.
If you want to venture off the bike trail, Sioux Falls has several nearby options to explore. Don’t be intimidated, there are options for all fitness levels:
• Sertoma Park offers a flat gravel trail that lets you enjoy nature without leaving Sioux Falls.
• Arrowhead Park Nature Area east of Sioux Falls offers several paved ADA-accessible and non-paved walking trails.
• Leaders Park in northeast Sioux Falls offers a non-paved trail for running, hiking and mountain biking.
• Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon has paved and non-paved trails for walkers, runners and cyclists. State Park pass needed.
• Good Earth State Park just southeast of Sioux Falls is a new park that offers several loops of non-paved trail for walking or running with flat and hilly options. State Park pass needed.